Cassette imparts the unique sound from an often maligned recording medium.
A one that offers character like nothing else and I'm in love with.
This is not a tape machine, this is a time machine.
Rewind back in time
An entire generation heard the music that shaped their lives on cassette tape. I grew up listening to them at home, on the car or on a Walkman.
They are not perfect, in fact, they are far from perfect.
That’s what I love about them.
This is my tribute to the sound that shaped my childhood. I discovered the passion for music between
quirks and random fluctuations. Watching the meters move as I sang into an old microphone. Red peaks and
Rewind, listen again.
Why you'll love Cassette
Cassette has been designed to be fun, pleasant to the ear and true to the medium.
Cassette has been carefully modelled after exhaustive analysis of a high number of sound signals recorded into real tapes. As a result, we get the same sound and behaviour as the original unit.
Randomness under control
Magnetic tape is not a sterile media. It will impart its own sound signature. Some of these non-linear effects are unpredictable, which make the signal sound more natural and alive.
There's much more under the hood than what you see at a first glance. In the settings panel you are able to fully control all the parameters that make tape sound like tape.
“Cassette, by one of my favourite plugin developers, is a blast to use!”
Greg WellsAdele, Katy Perry
“Cassette has added another dimension to lo-fi effects. With just a little voicing from the plugin on the subtler tape models it gets beautifully rich.”
Phil EnglishMc Fly, Diamond Head
“Cassette gives real-life feel to my audio samples, immediately elevating them adding that extra-sauce factor.”
What's your type?
We modelled the four cassettes types available. Each one delivers different sonic characteristics.
I: was the standard and most compatible tape format. Featured a ferric-oxide coating
First appeared in the 1960s.
II: with a chromium dioxide (CrO2) formulation was introduced at the dawn of the 1970s featuring an undeniable increase in high frequency response.
III: living a short period between the mid 70s and early 80s, the ferro-chrome (FeCr) never made it into the golden era.
IV: metal-formulated hit the scene at the end of the 70s. Features firmer bass as well as louder high frequencies.
About magnetic tape
Magnetic tape is not a sterile media. It will impart its own sound signature to signals recorded into it. These include different frequency response, frequency dependent saturation, high-frequency compression, hiss, asperity noise and much more.
Reproduction systems will also induce their fingerprint: wow, flutter, random high-frequency loss, crosstalk, stereo unbalances and other.
All of these little quirks and random fluctuations have been modelled meticulously in Cassette.
I always wanted to have a modular tape plugin in which I could enable or disable each step of the processing.
Control how the Stability parameter in the front panel works internally. Includes “randomness” in order to make things unpredictable and analog.
More of what makes a cassette sound like a cassette. Including the innovative “Re-Cassette” parameter that runs the processing several times.
Control how the Artifacts parameter in the front panel works internally. Includes “Random Snap” for simulating the tape being caught momentarily.
Cycling through presets
Listen how the included presets sound in a real mix. This track is called "Last Sunrise of Neon Summer" by Xavi Gano. We just inserted the plugin in the master bus and cycle through them.
More audio demos
Watch in action
Get Cassette now!
Get the authentic sound of lo-fi vintage tape in your mixes today. With instant and simple authorisation and download.
Click to unveil
- # Version 1.0.6 – 28 / 07 / 2022
- - Added: Apple Silicon native support.
- - Added: more artist presets by Torley.
- - Removed: OpenGL support.
- - Improved: bug fixes and optimisations.
- # Version 1.0.5 – 26 / 10 / 2020
- – Improved: CPU optimisation.
- – Fixed: crash when internet connection is not available.
- # Version 1.0.4 – 15 / 07 / 2020
- – Fixed: crash when re-loading a project in Ableton Live.
- – Fixed: graphics CPU bug.
- – Improved: presets are now in alphabetical order.
- - Added: enable/disable OpenGL.
- # Version 1.0.3 – 13 / 01 / 2020
- – Fixed: Compatibility with older macOS versions.
- # Version 1.0.2 – 19 / 11 / 2020
- – Fixed: Pro, Home and Micro bug in Cubase / VST3.
- – Improved: authorization process.
- – Added: Tape Type is now automatable.
- – Added: Pro Tools key command automation.
- – Added: artist presets from Insight.
- # Version 1.0.1 – 14 / 11 / 2019
- – Fixed: Pro, Home and Micro buttons are now automatable.
- – Improved: settings sliders snap to the mouse cursor when clicked.
- – Added: artist presets from Torley.
- # Version 1.0.0 – 04 / 11 / 2019 Initial release.
No iLok or challenge response needed for registering Cassette.
You will receive a serial number at the time of the purchase. That's all you need.
- 10.9 or higher.
- Intel and M1/Apple Silicon natively supported.
- 64 bit DAW and OS.
- 7, 8 or 10.
- 64 bit DAW and OS.